[Owncloud] IMAP was: upgrade from 4.5 to 5.0 lost all files

Mark Symonds mark at syminet.com
Tue Apr 2 18:32:38 UTC 2013

On Apr 2, 2013, at 4:31 AM, Torsten Grote <grote at kolabsys.com> wrote:

> Hi Mark,
>
> On Thursday 28 March 2013 11:23:37 you wrote:
>> I know this might sound crazy, but what about using a derivative of IMAP
>> (libkimap4)?
>>
>> People already have "folders" in their email, it's been working well since
>> forever, and so on.
>
> this is what Kolab is doing since quite some time for personal information. We
> are now doing this for files as well:
>
>    https://www.kolab.org/news/2013/03/19/roadmap-kolab-3.1-irony-included

Not diverge - come together.

I am suggesting that  an IMAP library (e.g., libkimap4) could be used in order to
quickly understand file structure.  Why rewrite, when the technology is before us?

Directories/Folders are an already built-in and well understood technology.

So why rebuild?  We already have a server based, File->Folder structure
(e.g. libkimap4).

Why rebuild from nothing - when the solution is already there?

--
Mark