[Owncloud] Suggestion: general help framework

Thomas Tanghus thomas at tanghus.net
Wed Sep 12 12:15:44 UTC 2012

On Wednesday 12 September 2012 11:29 Diederik de Haas wrote:
> Why not store it all in git?
> Maybe I'm missing sth but I'd think the help text would be a few kb and if
> it's REALLY REALLY extensive help it might grow to say 100kb, but that's
> it. Yeah, instruction videos of 30 min in 1080p each would be too much to
> ship with each ownCloud download (and should be placed on an external
> website), but I don't expect to see that any time soon.
> Besides that, you also have the option to exclude sth stored in git from
> making it part of the ownCloud (core) download.

My idea was to have a separate repository where we keep up-to-date
documentation, which is not distributed in the package per default.

The framework could then request a help file base on core|appname + version +
specific help file from for example:

  https://raw.github.com/owncloud/docs/apps/4.5/files_sgfviewer/usage.md

This way we can update documentation during a release cycle without the need
to update your installation. In the framework you should be able to set the
base URL for the repository, or set it to using local files if your setup
doesn't allow outbound requests.

Or am I just rambling? ;)

--
Med venlig hilsen / Best Regards