[Owncloud] Suggestion: general help framework

Diederik de Haas didi.debian at cknow.org
Wed Sep 12 13:08:38 UTC 2012

On Wednesday 12 September 2012 14:15:44 Thomas Tanghus wrote:
> On Wednesday 12 September 2012 11:29 Diederik de Haas wrote:
> > Why not store it all in git?
>
> My idea was to have a separate repository where we keep up-to-date
> documentation, which is not distributed in the package per default.

My understanding was that it wouldn't be stored in a repository _at all_ and
that didn't make sense to me, since git is 'just' a (D)VCS.
Storing documentation in a VCS repo does make perfect sense, whether that be in
core (where you can still choose not to ship it by default), in apps or a
separate repo is not important.

> The framework could then request a help file base on core|appname + version
> + specific help file from for example:
>
>   https://raw.github.com/owncloud/docs/apps/4.5/files_sgfviewer/usage.md

And branches are a way to keep documentation for various app/oc versions.

> This way we can update documentation during a release cycle without the
> need to update your installation. In the framework you should be able to
> set the base URL for the repository, or set it to using local files if
> your setup doesn't allow outbound requests.
>
> Or am I just rambling? ;)

Nope, not at all.

Cheers,
  Diederik