[Owncloud] Suggestion: general help framework

Diederik de Haas didi.debian at cknow.org
Wed Sep 12 09:29:47 UTC 2012

On Tuesday 11 September 2012 13:53:33 Frank Karlitschek wrote:
> We should have a basic help included in ownCloud for stuff like "how to
> upload" and "how to share." At the end the help text we add a "more"
> button than links to the website for more extensive documentation.

Why only include (very) basic help inside ownCloud?
For me, as a user and administrator of my own ownClound instance, having more
help would be really welcome. I'm now mostly finding out what an app does or a
function inside an app does by trial and error. So having help (inside ownCloud)
on what an app/function does, how it works, etc would be great.

> The shipped short documentation has to be in git but this shouldn´t be a
> problem because this is only short anyways and the more extensive
> documentation is online.

Why not store it all in git?
Maybe I'm missing sth but I'd think the help text would be a few kb and if it's
REALLY REALLY extensive help it might grow to say 100kb, but that's it.
Yeah, instruction videos of 30 min in 1080p each would be too much to ship with
each ownCloud download (and should be placed on an external website), but I
don't expect to see that any time soon.
Besides that, you also have the option to exclude sth stored in git from making
it part of the ownCloud (core) download.

So a big +1 from me for a help framework/more help inside ownCloud.

My 0.02,
  Diederik