[Owncloud] Translation issues

Thomas Müller thomas.mueller at tmit.eu
Wed Sep 5 12:02:05 UTC 2012

Am Mittwoch, dem 05.09.2012 um 13:46 schrieb Diederik de Haas:
> Hi,
>
> I've just started translation some things and came across a few things I don't
> really understand.
>
> In 'Core' there's the following thing/phrase to translate:
> ui-datepicker-group';if(i[1]>1)switch(G){case 0:y+=

You are most probably right on this - let me check this soon

> Why does that need to be translated? It looks like code to me and translating
> code would probably mean it won't function anymore.
>
> In other parts of the translations, I came across strings which have (html)
> markup in them. Is that intentional?

In general it is advised no to have html within translation strings as it confuses translators.
But most of the time it is not possible, because we need to make sure that sentences are not split.

For (a little bit) more information: http://owncloud.org/dev/translation/
Ping me if something is missing!

>From my translation experience within the Debian project I have to state that usually translators
have enough tech background to handle html within translations strings.

> Is this the correct place to ask these questions? If not, what would be the
> right place?

Sure ;-)

Thanks a lot,

Tom