[Owncloud] Kanban Board for ownCloud with github issues and huboard.com

Jörn Friedrich Dreyer jfd at owncloud.com
Wed Oct 31 13:08:06 UTC 2012

On 31.10.2012 13:37, Thomas Tanghus wrote:
> On Tuesday 30 October 2012 23:30 Jörn Friedrich Dreyer wrote:
>> It took me some time to write down all the stuff we decided at the
>> developer meeting but I finally finished the documentation for the
>> labels we choose to use on github: http://owncloud.org/dev/kanban-board/
>>
>> They are used to visualize a Kanban Board with http://huboard.com that
>> allows everyone to literally see what we are working on and where he
>> might help at a bottleneck.
>>
>> Please let me know what you think. This is not set in stone, so feel
>> free to ask questions on anything that is unclear or that you think
>> needs changing.
> Wow, you've really put a lot of work into that, and it looks like a good
> development process for ownCloud - now I just have to learn the lingo ;)
>
> A few questions:
>
> - "I’ll write a Scenario for our BDD in Gherkin and post it as a comment."
>   Does this mean just as a comment to the issue?
For starters, yes. We want to make it especially easy for the community
to contribute scenarios and will commit them to the acceptance-testing
<https://github.com/owncloud/acceptance-testing> branch manually.

>  Could they be thought of as
> pseudo-code, that should later be implemented as unit-tests?
Exactly, for example take a look at the login feature
<https://github.com/owncloud/acceptance-testing/blob/master/features/login.feature>:

Feature:Login
In order to protect data in my cloud instance
As an user
I want restricted access to my cloud
Scenario:Login via web browser
Given I am not logged in
When I enter my valid credential
Then I should be able to access my cloud

We can later write glue code that implements "I enter my valid
credential" (called step-definitions
<https://github.com/cucumber/cucumber/wiki/Step-Definitions>). The
implementation will be reused in other Features, so we should gradually
be able to describe a new feature in gherkin and have it automagically
be tested.

> - Pull requests are automatically added to the issues list, but you can't
> assign labels to them (afaik?). For bug reports and enhancement requests the
> workflow is - almost - clear to me, but where do we squeeze in pull requests?
You actually can assign labels to them when you select the checkbox of
it in the github issue list view and then click the label button. The
only problem is that you have to select all the labels you want to
attach at once, because it will remove any that are not selected.

The "to review" label should be the perfect fit.
> - huboard.com: I am reluctant to grant access to "Update your user profile.
> Update your public and private repositories (Commits, Issues, etc)" without
> any ToS or privacy policy available. At least I couldn't find any such thing.
Huboard uses these rights to push back label changes when you drag
around an issue in the kanban board. You can read the code at
https://github.com/rauhryan/huboard or even set up your own instance.
For now, were happy with someonelse doing the hosting, but we might set
up our own instance in the future.

so long

Jörn

--