[Owncloud] Encryption question

santigua santigua1978 at googlemail.com
Mon Oct 22 08:38:27 UTC 2012

Am 22.10.2012 um 06:04 schrieb Martin Kollek:

> Hey Everyone,

hi!

> I have a question about the security.
>
> I know there is an app in the settings where i can turn on Encryption but i dont know what it does.

As far as I know, this app does file encryption on the server. f.e. if you lo your password (-salt) you will loose all your data.

> There are also SSL settings in the

> Default-ssl files
> 000-default

This is, I assume, an Apache... which has nothing to do how OC works.

> How I think i was gonna set this up is to  enable https:// which I believe I would include setting up self assigning certificates.

Correct! you can get you own selfsigned cert or get one from a official authority. as you like.

> I dont have a VPN set up so I want to make sure I have everything as safe as possible.
>
> I have my owncloud set up on port 59852, and i know SSL is on port 443 would that be a problem?

No, you can use any port you like, thats just how Apache will work. (maybe some browsers wont recognize its https though, but most should...)

> Which files do i need to edit, etc? I can am including the files mentioned above.

For what? for a ssl setup ??? You should just use your searchengine of choice and search for "apache ssl setup", and maybe as additional keyword the system you use... suse, debian or what ever...

> Also there are also some fields that have no description as to what to put there such as "server admin, server name"
> Whatever I put there will that now be able to be used to find my server

As suggested above... you are apparently asking questions for your apache setup which is not the right place here.
Use a search engine and search for "apache server setup" or something similar... OC will work on pretty any webserver that has PHP properly working.

> Please Help Me.

Hope that helped...

kind regards,
santigua