[Owncloud] Cloud Storage Backends and File Encryption

Bjoern Schiessle schiessle at owncloud.com
Mon Oct 15 14:30:52 UTC 2012

Hi,

On Mon, 15 Oct 2012 11:15:36 +0400 al at ila5.info wrote:
> Is it possible to use OC as middle-ware of sorts (excuse the bad
> terminology) to have the files encrypted to the cloud storage
> providers in question?

If you enable file encryption ownCloud will store all your data
encrypted. So it is possible to use ownCloud as a front-end and a
random storage provider as back-end without enclosing your private data
to the provider.

But the current encryption application is depreciated, so I would
recommend to wait for ownCloud 5 for this feature.

> Out of curiosity, will or have the developers moved
> away from Blowfish in ECB mode?

Currently we are working on a complete new encryption framework based
on a public/private key system and with strong RSA encryption. This
should be ready for ownCloud 5.

cheers,
Björn

--