[Owncloud] where to place data directory

Frank Karlitschek frank at owncloud.org
Thu Nov 8 09:39:35 UTC 2012

Hi,

ownCloud puts the data directory into the ownCloud folder itself and tries to protect it with a .htaccess which seems to fail in your case. This can be caused by a lot of different things like the Webserver type you use, the installed modules, the webserver configuration and so on.

The best way to protect you data folder is to move it out of the Webserver folder and set the new path in the config/config.php file in ownCloud.
The config option is called "datadirectory"

Here is an example:
https://github.com/owncloud/core/blob/master/config/config.sample.php

Frank