[Owncloud] Update to sabredav 1.6

Evert Pot evert at rooftopsolutions.nl
Tue Mar 6 20:46:55 UTC 2012

On Mar 6, 2012, at 8:53 PM, Klaas Freitag wrote:

> On 06.03.2012 20:31, Georg Ehrke wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> I would guess Frank is a bit overworked due to the cebit :(
> Hmmm ;-)
>
>> This is a really difficult question about fixing bugs or keeping up
>> compatibility.
> Yes, and its a question of what and how many versions we can and want to maintain.
>
> One option would be to ask upstream at SabreDAV why they went to 5.3 and in which areas of SabreDAV 5.3 features are used. Maybe it is possible to do a SabreDAV 1.6 backport to 5.2 for our usecases. But honestly I don't think thats a good idea, as I think that the SabreDAV guys also thought about that and have good reasons to go for 5.3. And we don't want to maintain a SabreDAV branch ourselfes, never ever.

Frankly I didn't want to bother maintaining PHP 5.2. Doing so takes more time, and even PHP 5.2 itself isn't maintained anymore.
SabreDAV is a full-time project for me, and from all the things I wanted to do, keeping in check with old dependencies was not one of them.

It's also a statement. If you are on a host that refuses to upgrade to PHP 5.3, it may be time to look for something else :) Perhaps something like a VPS where you do have full control.

Some of the stuff I'm using from PHP 5.3 are closures, and a bunch of the new DateTime features. In the future, I will also move to using namespaces.
There's more to it than just not using PHP 5.3 features, I also want to guarantee a certain quality level. This is a lot harder to do with outdated software.