[Owncloud] idea : Notification system

Michael Gapczynski mtgap at owncloud.com
Mon Jun 4 17:48:55 UTC 2012

On Monday, June 04, 2012 07:18:43 PM Florian Hülsmann wrote:
> My idea is to use existing OC libs and provide hooks for notifications.
> Using these hooks we could send the notifications via email, xmpp etc. or
> let 3rd party apps extend the functionalities, e.g. with SMS notification!
>
> I was just wondering if the "search" folder will stay in the ownCloud root
> directory and if it's a good idea to have the notify stuff organized the
> same way (see user_notifications branch)...

This should be in the apps folder and not the root folder. I don't see an
entire app being written just to extend the notifications to another service.
So, I don't think you should emit any hooks, but rather keep everything
internal.

I agree with you that it should be organized like the searching in ownCloud
with providers. However, these providers files should be included directly
inside your notify app. I think it would also be worthwhile if your app could
allow the user to configure how he gets to be notified, i.e. via email or SMS.

Michael