[Owncloud] idea : Notification system

Florian Hülsmann fh at cbix.de
Wed Jun 6 22:10:53 UTC 2012

Ok guys, yesterday I pushed some further commits to the
user_notifications branch that gives us the following features:

  * apps can send (translatable) notifications to users by calling
OCP\Util::sendUserNotification
  * as a useful example users get notified when someone shares a file to
them (see apps/files_sharing/lib_share.php)
  * the number of unread notifications is displayed in web UI
  * ... as well as in the document title
  * drop down list of notification in web UI
  * apps can tell us to mark a notification as read by calling
OCP\Util::setUserNotificationRead
  * basic ajax functionality existing (see OC.notify object in JS)
including: auto refresh unread notifications, mark as read/unread ...
but missing buttons etc. in web UI
  * user notifications as RSS or Atom feed (with HTTP basic auth) using
the following URLs:
  ** http://host/owncloud/remote.php/notify_feed/feed.atom
  ** http://host/owncloud/remote.php/notify_feed/feed.rss

Things that are gonna be changed:
  * notification icon ;)
  * notification CSS
  * more efficient db table (using integer keys instead of strings,
because notification text is often the same)
  * add email notifications (and somehow xmpp??)
  * functions in web UI, such as "mark all notifications as read",
delete, toggle auto refresh
  * smart system for changing notifications (e.g. change "1 user
commented on your gallery" to "2 users commented on your gallery")
  * group notifications (how to handle "read" flag then?)
  * use different RSS/ATOM library (...that supports UTF-8 and HTML
contents!) - sorry, was too lazy to find a better one ;) maybe
Zend_Feed, which is awesome, but I'm not sure about other ZF dependencies...
  * real time web UI notifications (kinda impossible with PHP, huh?
maybe using PubSubHubbub with atom feed...)

...IMO this should be done before merging with master :)

All in all this is a really useful feature that I'm definitively be
gonna use in future apps!

Florian

--
Florian Hülsmann