[Owncloud] External (git) code repositories

rajashekar rajashekarpanneti at yahoo.in
Thu Dec 6 04:39:38 UTC 2012

Hello all,

At the sprint in Berlin I merged the routing branch. After the merge
there where some problems with having to download extra repositories.
We need to solve this problem in a structural way.  The quick fix for
the routing was to include the code in our 3rdparty repository.

I would like to discuss how to have the external code in 3rdparty. At
the moment I suggest to limit this to the large projects: Sabre, Symfony
routing component and Doctrine. For these projects we have 2 ways of
doing this. The first is to use git submodules, and the second one is to
use composer.

The positive about git submodules is that you don't need extra programs
to download the code, every thing you need is included with the git
installation. There are some posts on the internet that this doesn't work
very well with switching branches, but I'm not sure how relevant that is
for us.

With composer you don't need git to get the external code, but can
download a php phar and use that to download the other code. With
composer we can also specify the version in a flexible way.

We can also do a combination of these, then everyone can chose which
works better for them. Haven't really tested this, but i expect that
this works.

The commands to get the external code are:

-----