[Owncloud] ownCloud Mailing List for developers

Thomas Müller thomas.mueller at tmit.eu
Wed Aug 29 13:37:04 UTC 2012

Am Mittwoch, dem 29.08.2012 um 14:43 schrieb Christian Reiner:
> Hi all,
>
> > On Wednesday 29 August 2012 14:05:45 Bernhard Posselt wrote:
> > Well I dont know, dont we have to answer to both mailing lists? For
> > instance when users request or ask something about your app?
>
> I second that.
> Certainly on first look it is great to have less traffic on a specific list.
>
> However already now many questions on the mailing list are not replied to at
> all. Since ownCloud does not have someone in a position like a community
> manager or something I would expect that problem to increase. Most developers
> would communicate only over the dev list. So even less people would care to
> check the other list. This would be a very bad sign to users and people being
> interested. It signals: go away, you annoy us.

hmm - good point - but don't we loose some people on the ml because of
too technical/dev specific things? - I have no idea - it's just a question.

On the other hand - specific to the dev tasks/questions - I'd love to get more
response and maybe developers would feel more attracted by mails on the dev-mailing list.

> ownCloud claims to be a project for a community and based on a community.
> In my eyes this means ownCloud has to take care of managing that community.

I have a similar feeling: to some extend people seek more leadership and more transparency.
A community manager could help here - any volunteers? ;-)

Maybe we talk about this in Berlin as well.
(Will we code at all? So many topics to talk about .... ;-) )

Take care,

Tom