[Owncloud] ownCloud Mailing List for developers

Klaas Freitag freitag at owncloud.com
Wed Aug 29 20:04:25 UTC 2012

On 29.08.2012 16:37, Thomas Müller wrote:

Hi,

> On the other hand - specific to the dev tasks/questions - I'd love to get more
> response and maybe developers would feel more attracted by mails on the dev-mailing list.
>
>> ownCloud claims to be a project for a community and based on a community.
>> In my eyes this means ownCloud has to take care of managing that community.
>
> I have a similar feeling: to some extend people seek more leadership and more transparency.
> A community manager could help here - any volunteers? ;-)
Honestly I doubt a "community manager" really would help here, also the
word "leadership" kind of scares me, at least if its "set up" ;-)

I often heard people asking for a community manager if well known
problems exist but nobody is solving them. I think we're in a state
where we have quite a core community with very active and smart people.
We can solve the problems we see, so my feeling often is that we have a
lack of entitlement for people to touch things. Aren't we often too much
waiting for Frank to take decisions?

My proposal would be to, instead of installing a community manager, we
should encourage all the core people to be more like Frank and push
decisions and do stuff and, important, communicate it.

regards,
Klaas