[Owncloud] Commiting Oracle support tomorrow, beware of SQL without escaped identifiers

Thomas Müller thomas.mueller at tmit.eu
Tue Aug 28 09:24:03 UTC 2012

Am Dienstag, dem 28.08.2012 um 10:42 schrieb Sebastian Kügler:
> On Friday, August 24, 2012 19:31:42 Jörn Friedrich Dreyer wrote:
> > I am currently merging master into my personal stable4-oracle branch and
> > will commit oracle support tomorrow. This will allow us to give the
> > implementation a lot of testing before owncloud customers will be using
> > it in production.
>
> Strikes me, and the amount of breakage and subsequent comments seems to
> support this feeling, that the branch should be well tested *before* being
> merged into master, not merging into master as trigger for people to actually
> test it and then hope that bugs are actually being fixed. Motivation for
> fixing bugs is usually much higher pre-merge than post-merge.

full-ack - but Jörn already stated the same in his last email on how he should have done it.

Well - shit happens ;-)

But it would indeed be appreciated to see a stronger leadership on the project with
clearer rule on how to do thing when and why.
And also with the courage to revert a bad commit.

On other projects (business as well as community) such a big break of master would
have caused bigger waves. (Just imagine how Linus reacts on bad patches - LOL)

But let's stop this discussion here and look a head.

> (And I don't mean "test Oracle support", much more "test for regressions to
> the current feature set" -- and fix them.)
>
> >From my experience, maintaining support for multiple databases (and their
> creative variants of SQL) is pure madness without a layer that takes care of
> these differences. Even then, it's not a walk in the park. Of course, it can
> be gotten right, but only with a very strict testing mentality. "Merge, and
> see if it breaks" is not that mentality.

Feel free to comment on the other mail thread about orm and active record.

Take care,

Tom aka DeepDiver