[Owncloud] Commiting Oracle support tomorrow, beware of SQL without escaped identifiers

Jörn Friedrich Dreyer jfd at owncloud.com
Tue Aug 28 09:54:12 UTC 2012

On 28.08.2012 10:42, Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> On Friday, August 24, 2012 19:31:42 Jörn Friedrich Dreyer wrote:
>> I am currently merging master into my personal stable4-oracle branch and
>> will commit oracle support tomorrow. This will allow us to give the
>> implementation a lot of testing before owncloud customers will be using
>> it in production.
>
> Strikes me, and the amount of breakage and subsequent comments seems to
> support this feeling, that the branch should be well tested *before* being
> merged into master, not merging into master as trigger for people to actually
> test it and then hope that bugs are actually being fixed. Motivation for
> fixing bugs is usually much higher pre-merge than post-merge.
Sorry again, for causing all this trouble. I was using the oracle
support successfully for three weeks at our customer with the stable
branch. And after merging the changes into master I of course tested the
whole thing. The bugs Thomas sent me were PHP notifications in the
sqlite driver that were ugly but installation still worked correctly. I
wont go into pointless details. What I' trying to say is that I was
confident that oracle support was working and that margin it to master
had not done too much harm. I was wrong. I am sorry. And I will take
care of fixing the bugs and writing BDD Tests for Thomas so he likes me
again.

@Bernhard: Sorry for breaking the news app. I'll look into the CLOB
/TEXT issue again.

>>From my experience, maintaining support for multiple databases (and their
> creative variants of SQL) is pure madness without a layer that takes care of
> these differences. Even then, it's not a walk in the park. Of course, it can
> be gotten right, but only with a very strict testing mentality. "Merge, and
> see if it breaks" is not that mentality.
I agree. I tried. And I failed. Now, nobody needs to point out anymore
that I screwed up. Maybe we can shift the energy we are putting into
this discussion into deciding on a ORM layer. One that we don't need to
bypass to do more than the usual CRUD operations. Doctrine also has a
"Migrations" Project to version the database schema.

so long

Jörn

--
Jörn Friedrich Dreyer (jfd at owncloud.com)