[Owncloud] Encryption no longer working

Andreas Heinlein aheinlein at gmx.com
Wed Aug 8 07:15:28 UTC 2012

Hello,

I have recently set up a private ownCloud instance and enabled the
encryption app. This worked fine until I think the 4.0.3 update a few
weeks ago. From then, all encrypted files which are downloaded contain
merely random data; it looks like they're still encrypted. Unencrypted
files (Images etc.) can be downloaded and viewed just fine. Updating to
4.0.6 did not change anything. Password has not been changed since
initial setup.

A file 'encryption.key' exists in /var/www/owncloud/data/<user> and is
readable by the Apache user. Since I have come to the conclusion anyway
that I no longer need the enryption app: is there any way to manually
decrypt the files on the server?

Unfortunately, the encrypted files have also been sync'ed over the
unencrypted ones on my desktop, so I have no clear copy of those files
left. I have a backup of most of them, but not all.

Thanks for your help,
Andreas