[Owncloud] Encryption no longer working

niazy at niazyselim.net niazy at niazyselim.net
Wed Aug 8 14:32:33 UTC 2012

Hello All,

I am in the same dilemma as Andreas. I had all my files and my wifes
files (separate accounts) encrypted in owncloud. Things were working
well. The server was acting up so I decided to reinstall to a fresh
Ubunut 12.04LTS. I had my owncloud/data/ on a separate partition on a
RAID5 disk.
After resinstall, out of paranoia and to be safe, I copied the data
first to owncloud/data/ using regular cp command.
Our passwords are the same. My files are encrypted and I cannot
decrypted them any more. The encryption.key file is the the original
one. I wrote a php routine to decrypt the can decrypt the
encryption.key and I was able to retrieve its salt. For an expirement,
I encrypted a text file using owncloud and I still cannot decrypt the
text back. It decrypts in owncloud browser but not using a php
blowfish routines. I emailed Frank Karlitschek and he was nice enough
to respond. He said that the salt in the config.conf is used to
encrypt the password. I looked in the routines and found out that the
salt is generated in a random fassion. Then we are screwed. I cannot
believe we encrypt people's data against a random salt and without any
warning to tell people to copy the salt in a safe place just in

Anyhelp will be greatly appreciated.
Niazy