[Owncloud] Meeting results

Jan-Christoph Borchardt JanCBorchardt at fsfe.org
Fri Sep 2 07:54:07 UTC 2011

Progress! Everyone on this list should read this.

I moved our Etherpads to TitanPad.com – it’s the best Etherpad instance I
know, run by 3 Debian contributors. Our current pads are:
http://owncloud.titanpad.com/tasks – planning, tasks, todo, etc.
http://owncloud.titanpad.com/website – plan for http://test.owncloud.org
which will become the website
http://owncloud.titanpad.com/video – awesome video for ownCloud that
Bugsbane is doing!
No accounts needed but please give yourself a name on the list in the top
right.

Frank or Robin, can you please deprecate https://projects.kde.org/owncloud
? Change the description to "moved to Gitorious at
http://gitorious.org/owncloud" and remove the coders etc. so that it’s
obvious we moved.

Damien, we moved the website to http://test.owncloud.org and I gave you an
account at /wp-admin (you should receive it via mail)
Can you please delete http://projects.kde.org/owncloud-org ?
Everyone who wants to work on the website please let me know. We’ll switch
owncloud.org to from the wiki to the website this Sunday.

Bugzilla will not be used anymore. We want to combine the help and issue
platform but are not sure about what to use yet (we should only use
_one_):
Knowledgebase is integrated as Help: http://apps.owncloud.com/kb
Shapado is very widely used and offers anonymous posting (important) and
voting. Useful to prioritize features and major issues:
http://owncloud.shapado.com – it’s an AGPL licensed free software app just
like we are.
So frankly, I’m for using Shapado. If it can be integrated as help it’s
awesome. In any case we should only use one and decide before the release
of ownCloud 2 in end of September, ideally even before the release of the
first beta on September 15.

The thing / one of the things with git.kde.org regarding ownCloud was:
The commit access is flat – but only for existing developers (which are
mainly desktop developers, namely KDE)
But for new contributors it’s a cumbersome process both for them and for
us. We can’t easily add people ourselves and the sysadmins have work too.
On Gitorious, we have a team to manage that so the responsibility and
workload is spread.

I think the last thing on KDE infrastructure is this mailing list.
If we need to move it I suggest http://onlinegroups.net – it’s a widely
used, open platform and much more usable than mailman.
I volunteer for checking how to set everything up.

I think the main arguments for staying a KDE project are getting exposure
on the Dot and GSoC students, right? What are the opinions on that? Is
that even affected by "moving away from KDE infrastructure"?

One big thing is that we want to attract web developers and also
developers of every platform. At the moment I see 2 KDE apps – they are
great and I know they are cross-platform, IF you install KDE dependencies.
While KDE is awesome, I would love to see apps for iOS, Windows and Mac OS
– because we need freedom for everyone, not only for those who are already
free. I think being an autonomous project helps with that.

As always, please let me know what you think or if I forgot anything.