[Owncloud] Configuration for Lighttpd

Thomas Jost schnouki at schnouki.net
Mon Oct 17 08:55:12 UTC 2011

On Sun, 16 Oct 2011 17:57:15 +0200, Xavier Venient <xavier at toutafon.org> wrote:
> Doesn't seem a good idea, as lighttpd does not support .htaccess files,
> and there's one in data/ that deny access in it.
>
> Now I can get your http://server/owncloud/data/owncloud.db file and
> browse and get files from /owncloud/data/user/.
>
> You'll need at least something like this in your lighttpd config file:
>
> server.modules += ( "mod_auth" )
> auth.backend = "htpasswd"
> auth.backend.htpasswd.userfile = "/etc/lighttpd/htpasswd"
> auth.require = ( "/owncloud/data/" => (
>                   "method"   => "basic",
>                   "realm"    => "private - owncloud data",
>                   "require"  => "user=nousershouldaccessthis"
>                   )
>                 )

Hi,

Thanks for pointing that out -- I had ownCloud running without any sort
of access control and was happy it Just Worked™. However I think this is
quite a complicated way to deny access to the data/ folder. Here is what
I added to my config file:

    $HTTP["url"] =~ "^/data/" { url.access-deny = ( "" ) }

(requires to load mod_access). Now everyong gets a 403 when trying to
access data/.

This should probably be added to the installation page on the website.

Regards,

--
Thomas/Schnouki