[Owncloud] Version Control Ideas/Issues

Jan-Christoph Borchardt jan at unhosted.org
Fri Oct 14 10:32:09 UTC 2011

On Fri, October 14, 2011 11:34, Andreas Schneider wrote:
> * versioning will only be supported in a special top level directory, it
> will
> not be supported somewhere else to keep it simple.
>
> * only allow files smaller than 1 MB to be versioned (this is just a good
> default value, it should be _configureable_ so that you can set it to 5MB
> or
> 10MB if you need it)

I said this before, criteria for versioning should be:
* files below a certain size (1 MB seems good indeed, maybe even 3 or 5)
* do not version binary media files like mp3, mp4 (video and audio in
general)
* always version "development" stuff like psd, xcf, ai, indd (Photoshop,
GIMP, Illustrator and Indesign files)

The "special top level directory" is a very bad idea. Either we support
versioning properly or not. Managing versioning is not something people
want to do. If we want to advertise it as a software feature it needs to
happen invisibly.