[Owncloud] Version Control Ideas/Issues

Cornelius Schumacher schumacher at kde.org
Fri Oct 14 13:41:48 UTC 2011

On Friday 14 October 2011 12:32:09 Jan-Christoph Borchardt wrote:

> The "special top level directory" is a very bad idea. Either we support
> versioning properly or not. Managing versioning is not something people
> want to do. If we want to advertise it as a software feature it needs to
> happen invisibly.

I agree that versioning should happen invisibly, and just work. It is a
feature, which should give users a safe feeling that nothing gets lost, peace
of mind, if you like.

For that reason I also think versioning should not have a size limit. I know
that there are implementation issues with versioning of large binary files,
but these shouldn't be exposed to the user. If I change MP3 tags I would want
them to be versioned, if I do a presentation with many pictures, I would want
it versioned, etc. It would be a pretty bad experience, if the user tries to
retrieve an old version only to be told, that the file was too big.

So using git or something similar for some files and some other mechanism like
rsync for other files sounds like a resonable concept to me.