[Owncloud] Version Control Ideas/Issues

Andreas Schneider asn at cryptomilk.org
Fri Oct 14 09:34:35 UTC 2011

On Tuesday 11 October 2011 16:48:57 Craig Roberts wrote:
> Hi all,

Hi,

> So before I get too bogged down in the details: what does ownCloud
> want? Personally, my use case would mostly be small files, with a
> smaller collection of large files (movies, high-quality music, etc.).
> I'd want these to be synced to my laptop/desktop, with version history
> available through ownCloud if I want it (I don't want all my history
> on my laptop, even though it would probably fit). I am not the
> ownCloud community though, so am I making any assumptions I shouldn't
> be? What functionality is required and what would be nice-to-haves?
>
> I will be in IRC this evening at some point, and most of tomorrow.

versioning is not made for large files and if you think of a company providing
owcloud webspace they will not support it if you can't limit it.

Here is a summary I've discussed with Frank:

* versioning will only be supported in a special top level directory, it will
not be supported somewhere else to keep it simple.

* only allow files smaller than 1 MB to be versioned (this is just a good
default value, it should be _configureable_ so that you can set it to 5MB or
10MB if you need it)

Did you think about the design?

We would prefer to only use webdav which means you need to upload the file to
a directory and then call git on the server to version it.

Maybe this will not work well and you need to implement a special client for
this.

	-- andreas

--
Andreas Schneider                   GPG-ID: F33E3FC6
www.cryptomilk.org                asn at cryptomilk.org