[Owncloud] Quick question

Jos van den Oever jos.van.den.oever at kogmbh.com
Thu Aug 19 11:18:31 UTC 2010

On Thursday, August 19, 2010 13:09:38 pm zander at kde.org wrote:
> On Wednesday 18. August 2010 18.06.20 Jos van den Oever wrote:
> > Thanks for the link. This is certainly on our radar, perhaps even using
> > wave  or a similar protocol.
>
> To avoid any communication problems I want to add that the stuff that
> Pierre has been working on with the koffice change-tracking and, on top of
> that, the collaborative editing is meant to avoid having a central server.
> The google wave protocol is specifically meant to *use* a central server
> and the concepts its build on have gotten improvements in later research.
>
> While obviously the idea of using something already coded is attractive and
> any effort in that direction won't be stopped by me, I think its fair to
> point out thats not what the KOffice core peeps set their hearts on.
>
> See the mail on 14-july on both these lists (subject 'Suggestions') for
> more info.

Yes and no. The top level wave protocol is indeed tailored to a central
server, although there are actually several layers of servers. Yet, the way
changes are sent between participant through wave's version of operational
transformation could be used even in a p2p setting. I fully agree that p2p
operation should be possible.

The interesting question is: how can one combine ODF with operational
transformation? And, can one combine real-time collaboration with
collaboration with longer delays like in revision control systems?

Cheers,
Jos

--
Jos van den Oever, software architect