[Owncloud] RSS reader with syncing

Mario Đanić mario.danic at gmail.com
Thu Apr 1 17:16:27 UTC 2010

Hi,

let me bug you all once again :)

2010/4/1 Frank Karlitschek <karlitschek at kde.org>:
> Hi Clément,
>
> thank you for your message.
>

> On 01.04.2010, at 17:17, Clément 'clemux' Schreiner wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I read that Frank added the "rss reader with syncing" to the roadmap for
>> version 1.1, and I'd like to work on that.
>> Do you have any specific ideas how to do it ?
>
> Not really. So your input is welcome. :-)

I do ... as always. Sorry about that :)

>> I'll introduce quickly how I would do it, but I don't know if this would be
>> the right way, so I'd like to hear your suggestions :)
>>
>> A server pulls RSS feeds periodically and stores them in a SQL database, or
>> maybe using with Akonadi, or something else. Each feed would have tags and/or
>> categories , and a state (read, unread, new, ...)
>
> Good idea.

We should definetly look into using pubsubhubbub protocol both as a
client (for getting
updated from 3rd party feeds) and as a server (for pushing-out our updates).

>> The different readers would stay connected to the server, receiving new
>> articles in a "push-like" way. They could choose to get only unread articles
>> (for limited bandwidth on mobile devices for example), and to read them
>> directly from the server, or instead first storing them locally to keep a
>> cache.
>>

> Yes.

Look above :P

>> My main problem is the communication between the server and the readers... do
>> you know any protocol that would be suitable for this use, or we should
>> develop our own?

Look above :P

> I´m not sure. You should ask the Akonady guys. I think they are working on a Akonady ressource for Akregator.
> You could also look into the Google Reader protocol. Perhaps we can use this too.
>

>> I was also wondering has PHP been chosen as the only language for the project,
>> or could Python be used for the server part of this newsfeed reader?
>
> Hmm, I think it is important that "installation" of the owncloud is as easy as possible and runs on as many servers as possible.
> If we rely on Python we limit the number of users who can run ownCloud because their hoster doesn´t have Python support.
>
> So I suggest to use PHP because it works basically everywhere. Unless it is _really_ important to use something else.

While I really prefer python over php, I'd avoid having 10 languages
in implementation. But mind me :)
>> By the way, I'm a student, so it would be great if you thought that I could
>> turn this idea into a GSoC proposal :)
>>

> Sure. Why not. You can aways submit a GSoC proposal. :-)

:) Good luck my friend.

Cheers,
Mario