[Owncloud] RSS reader with syncing

Frank Karlitschek karlitschek at kde.org
Thu Apr 1 17:04:06 UTC 2010

Hi Clément,

thank you for your message.

On 01.04.2010, at 17:17, Clément 'clemux' Schreiner wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I read that Frank added the "rss reader with syncing" to the roadmap for
> version 1.1, and I'd like to work on that.
> Do you have any specific ideas how to do it ?

Not really. So your input is welcome. :-)

> I'll introduce quickly how I would do it, but I don't know if this would be
> the right way, so I'd like to hear your suggestions :)
>
> A server pulls RSS feeds periodically and stores them in a SQL database, or
> maybe using with Akonadi, or something else. Each feed would have tags and/or
> categories , and a state (read, unread, new, ...)

Good idea.

> The different readers would stay connected to the server, receiving new
> articles in a "push-like" way. They could choose to get only unread articles
> (for limited bandwidth on mobile devices for example), and to read them
> directly from the server, or instead first storing them locally to keep a
> cache.

Yes.

> My main problem is the communication between the server and the readers... do
> you know any protocol that would be suitable for this use, or we should
> develop our own?

I´m not sure. You should ask the Akonady guys. I think they are working on a Akonady ressource for Akregator.
You could also look into the Google Reader protocol. Perhaps we can use this too.

> I was also wondering has PHP been chosen as the only language for the project,
> or could Python be used for the server part of this newsfeed reader?

Hmm, I think it is important that "installation" of the owncloud is as easy as possible and runs on as many servers as possible.
If we rely on Python we limit the number of users who can run ownCloud because their hoster doesn´t have Python support.

So I suggest to use PHP because it works basically everywhere. Unless it is _really_ important to use something else.

> By the way, I'm a student, so it would be great if you thought that I could
> turn this idea into a GSoC proposal :)

Sure. Why not. You can aways submit a GSoC proposal. :-)

> Cheers
>

> Clément Schreiner

Cheers
Frank