D7949: Allow to print pdf doc directly into a QPrinter

Oliver Sander noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Mon Jan 7 11:21:39 GMT 2019

sander added a comment.

  The quality of the Arthur backend really depends on what you use it for.  For example, I personally mostly use Okular for scientific articles and presentations, and Arthur works almost perfectly for that.  But for other types of documents, however, the situation may be different.  Only Albert and his test suite know. :-)

  I wouldn't mind fixing more bugs in Arthur if people request that.  It's not even very difficult, but of course it is debatable whether maintaining three backends makes sense.  I found the Cairo-to-Qt-backend quite interesting, but I haven't heard from that for a while.  What I am afraid of, though, is that it seems like the Qt paint interface is not rich enough for the needs of a poppler backend.  For example, there does not seem to be a way to draw a glyph by index and tell Qt what the corresponding letter is. As a consequence, text search in a pdf file printed by QPrinter cannot work. Probably only a dedicated effort by one of the bigger players (like you guys, Michael), can change that.