D10974: Add option to ignore print margins

Nathaniel Graham noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Fri May 25 03:28:15 UTC 2018

ngraham added a comment.

  I took the time to read the attached bug report and I take back what I said in the prior comment. I see now why one would want to manually trigger this behavior.

  This is basically a scaling setting, but we also want it to be really obvious what each state is for, because it's a somewhat technical feature.

  If we use a checkbox, the string I would recommend is "Scale down to fit within printable area".

  Another option is to use a radio button:

    Scaling: (o) None
             ( ) Auto-fit within printable area

  A nice side-effect of the radio button approach is that when we add fixed percentage scaling, it naturally fits in the same group:

    Scaling: (o) None
             ( ) Auto-fit within printable area
             ( ) Scale to fixed percentage: [100%]

  Or even:

    Scaling: (o) [100%]
             ( ) Auto-fit within printable area

  A further enhancement would be to automatically select an appropriate option by default according to the logic I outlined above: if the document actually does fit within the printable area due to its own margins, or because the printer supports borderless printing, don't scale it down by default unless the user deliberately chooses that option.

  Does that make sense?