D10974: Add option to ignore print margins

Nathaniel Graham noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Thu May 24 23:28:46 UTC 2018

ngraham added a comment.

  Stepping back a bit, I can identify the following two use cases:

  - The document has its own margins that will make it fit within the printer's printable area without any scaling (e.g. a scientific paper or an eBook)
  - The document will not fit within the printer's printable area without some scaling, either because it has no margins, or because its own margins are not big enough (e.g a flyer, magazine article, or advertisement)

  In the first case, you never need additional margins and always want the document printed with no scaling.

  In the second case, you always need to scale the document down to fit within the printable area, or else the edges will be clipped and you'll lose some of the content.

  If this analysis is complete, then we don't actually need a user-facing setting here at all; we should instead infer the correct setting for ourselves by seeing whether the document to be printed has its own margins that make it fit within the printer's printable area: if it does, print as-is; if it doesn't, then scale it until it fits.

  Am I on the right track, or is this an incomplete assessment?