D7949: Allow to print pdf doc directly into a QPrinter

Henrik Fehlauer noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Tue Jul 10 21:38:59 BST 2018

rkflx accepted this revision.
rkflx added a comment.

  Thanks, accepting the Diff from my side (obviously I cannot speak for the Okular project).

  In D7949#290074 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D7949#290074>, @sander wrote:

  > That is https://phabricator.kde.org/D7962 .  I put it on hold, because I didn't want to spend more time on time before knowing whether this patch here will get merged or not.

  Ah, I knew there was a Diff somewhere. Also, there is now D10974: Add option to ignore print margins <https://phabricator.kde.org/D10974>, so this probably needs some coordination. Anyway, I don't think it's mandatory to wait for that, you could just add a hint to the tooltip that QPrinter does not scale to the printable area yet.

  BTW, if you write D7962 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D7962> instead of https://phabricator.kde.org/D7962, Phabricator will automatically add mentions to the review, which makes discovering things easier. Also, dependencies can be expressed with a line in the summary, e.g. `Depends on D7949` <https://community.kde.org/Infrastructure/Phabricator#Marking_patches_as_dependent_on_other_patches> (here you could use Edit Related Revisions > Edit Child Revisions).

  ---

  >> For me, highlighter annotations are rendered opaque. Not a blocker, of course, but maybe worth to file a bug for.
  >
  > That is interesting. Arthur renders them correctly to a screen, but I can confirm that they are opaque when printed.
  >  Could this be a QPrinter bug?  It is the same poppler backend code for screen and printer output.

  You are the expert here, so I guess it's up to you to fix or at least report this at the appropriate place ;)

INLINE COMMENTS

> generator_pdf.cpp:105
> +           m_printBackend->setItemData(CUPSBackend, xi18n("Print using the CUPS printing system.<nl/>This will convert your PDF file to PostScript first,<nl/>and then send the PostScript file to the printer."), Qt::ToolTipRole);
> +           m_printBackend->setItemData(CUPSBackend, xi18n("Print using the CUPS printing system.<nl/>This will convert your PDF file to PostScript first,<nl/>and then send the PostScript file to the printer."), Qt::WhatsThisRole);
> +#endif

As there is no way to access `Qt::WhatsThisRole` from the UI, perhaps the line for `Qt::ToolTipRole` is enough?