[Okular-devel] Bug 157198 - Remember position on the page in bookmark

Mailson Lira mailson at gmail.com
Tue Mar 13 16:07:43 UTC 2012

On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 05:39, todd rme <toddrme2178 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I think there are two issues: identifying the bookmark, and deleting it.

Issue for whom? The user?

> 1. When you put your mouse over the bookmark, the okular window
> temporarily jumps to the location of the bookmark.  When your mouse
> moves off, it returns to its previous location.  Would be the most
> clear, but probably also has the largest performance penalty.

I really liked the idea but I don't think it fits this task.

> 4. Always list the bookmarks in order of their position in the
> document, so bookmarks in a given page will be listed (for LTR text
> documents) top to bottom then left to right.  This is not mutually
> exclusive with the others.

I agree on that bookmark order and already reimplemented the next and
previous bookmark action using this approach.

> In order to remove bookmarks, I would say there are two approaches
> (not mutually exclusive):
>

> 2. Have the "remove bookmark" option visible after clicking on a
> bookmark.  So you click on a bookmark in the menu or panel, it takes
> you to that bookmark, and you have the option to remove the bookmark
> as long as you don't move your current view (or it disappears after a
> fixed amount of time).

I just tested here with bookmarks on different levels of zoom and it
worked pretty well. When you click on a bookmark, you'll be at the
right position, so the remove bookmark option could be shown on
menubar (or popup menu). This could be a way to prevent the user from
adding duplicate bookmarks on the same position.

> > == Case 2 - Ctrl+B shortcut ==
> >
> I don't see much alternative here: ctrl-b always adds a shortcut.

Yeah, but i'm worried that will piss off users who are used to Ctrl+B
to remove a bookmark.

> > == Case 3 - Save only one bookmark per page ==
> >
> > The bookmark will remember the position on the page but will still allow
> > only one bookmark per page. That will not change the behavior of okular but
> > IMHO doesn't make much sense.
>
> This is no good, especially for documents with long or very dense
> pages.  I think it defeats the purpose of remembering you location on
> the page.

I agree.

PS: I also created a new thread[1] on kde forum asking this to the
users but I nobody replied yet :(

[1] http://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=100729

--
Mailson Lira