Prices in Czech Republic and Austria

ettrich at greentech.cz ettrich at greentech.cz
Mon Jun 16 15:56:29 CEST 2003

Hi,

Quoting Andras Mantia <amantia at freemail.hu>:

> Hi,
>
>   As I try to find a good solution how to travel and spend the nights while
> going to Nove Hrady, I would like to get some more information:
>
> 1. What are the fuel (gasoline) prices in Austria and the Czech Republic?

Fuel and Gasoline in Austria and Czech republic is nearly on the same level,
maybe a few cents cheaper in the Czech republic. Unleadedfuel, 95Oktane is
around 85 Cents in Czechia and 90 Cents in Austria.

> 2. On the registration page says that accomodation is 13.5 euro/day in the
> castle and prices includes full pension. Is it possible to pay only for
> accomodation?

It is possible, there is the possibility to chose this in the registration
form. BUT IT MAKES NOT TOO MUCH SENSE!!! I think, for breakfast (1,70 Euro),
cofeebreak (0,60 Euro), lunch (2,30 Euro), cofeebreak(0,60 Euro) , dinner
(2,30 Euro), it is really not too much. These are actually the prices we get
in the monastry and the catering services. We do not make any cent profit from
this. Prices in Bed and Breakfast around in the area is around 350 Kc, 12
Euro, but this is with breakfast only. And the accomodation (6 Euros)is on the
lowest level in town, you will not find cheaper accomodation in town. There
are restaurants around, but first, you will need a much longer time for food,
as Nove Hrady has only 2000 inhabitants and 4 Pubs. You can imagine how long
you will have to wait for food, if 50 people of the congress is coming into a
pub, that normally serves lunch for 10 people. And second, you will not save
money this way, as the restaurants are slightly more expensive as what we
calculated, due to the fact that we get a price reduction.
But in fact, I do not understand why the prices for food are such a problem,
according to my kowledge, Hungary is at least on the same price level as the
Czech republic, and I can hardly imagine (according to my experience) that you
get in a touristically interesting area like for example the Balaton, a
complete meal (Soup, Meal, Cake and Tea or Cofee) for 2.30Euros. According to
my kowledge it is more realistic to pay 5 Euros for that in Hungary.
For example in the student hostel Mora in Szeged a double room with washbasin
(toilet and shower on the corridor) costs 10 Euro/person, only breakfast,  and
a room with shower in a low class hotel (toilet on the corridor) costs 23
Euros/person (including breakfast) (10th ECSBM conference 2003, Szeged).BTW,
this hungarion conference takes only 350 Euros just for registration, so
please do not complain about prices in the Czech Republic. We really do
everything to keep everything as cheap as possible for you.

> 3. Are there camps nearby so the accomodation can be solved with a tent?

The nearest camp is 6km from here, I do not know the prices, but if you wish,
I can call there to get informed.

Greetings
 Rudi