Prices in Czech Republic and Austria

Andras Mantia amantia at freemail.hu
Mon Jun 16 18:37:19 CEST 2003

Hi,

On Monday 16 June 2003 15:56, you wrote:
> > 1. What are the fuel (gasoline) prices in Austria and the Czech Republic?
>
> Fuel and Gasoline in Austria and Czech republic is nearly on the same
> level, maybe a few cents cheaper in the Czech republic. Unleadedfuel,
> 95Oktane is around 85 Cents in Czechia and 90 Cents in Austria.
Thanks, this is exactly what I wanted to know. :-)

> > 2. On the registration page says that accomodation is 13.5 euro/day in
> > the castle and prices includes full pension. Is it possible to pay only
> > for accomodation?
>
> It is possible, there is the possibility to chose this in the registration
> form.
Yes, there is a "no food" checkbox, but it wasn't clear how much do you have
to pay in case if you check this.

> BUT IT MAKES NOT TOO MUCH SENSE!!! I think, for breakfast (1,70
> Euro), cofeebreak (0,60 Euro), lunch (2,30 Euro), cofeebreak(0,60 Euro) ,
> dinner (2,30 Euro), it is really not too much.
Breakfast + Lunch + Dinnfer = 5,30 Euro. No, it's not expensive and for a full
pension this is really low, but it's 53 Euro for 10 days and it's half of my
wife's salary for a month. :-( For people coming from the EU or from the
other part of the Atlantic, this should be really low and affordable. So if
there is a chance to avoid it, or make it less, I would chose that
possibility.
[...]
> cheaper accomodation in town. There are restaurants around, but first, you
> will need a much longer time for food, as Nove Hrady has only 2000
> inhabitants and 4 Pubs.
I never thought that I would eat in a restaurant. I think I can count on my
hands how much time I have ate in a restaurant where I paid the bill. I'm not
used to eat there (even when I worked in Finalnd, I did it only once or
twice)...

[..]
> But in fact, I do not understand why the prices for food are such a
> problem, according to my kowledge, Hungary is at least on the same price
> level as the Czech republic, and I can hardly imagine (according to my
> experience) that you get in a touristically interesting area like for
> example the Balaton, a complete meal (Soup, Meal, Cake and Tea or Cofee)
> for 2.30Euros. According to my kowledge it is more realistic to pay 5 Euros
> for that in Hungary.
The problem is that I'm from Romania and not from Hungary, only my e-mail
address ends with .hu and I am one of the members of hungarian minority in
Romania. ;-)

> ECSBM conference 2003, Szeged).BTW, this hungarion conference takes only
> 350 Euros just for registration, so please do not complain about prices in
> the Czech Republic. We really do everything to keep everything as cheap as
> possible for you.
I was far from complaining. I just wanted to see what is the lowest possible
price, so I can make some calculation if I can afford it or not. And if not
for how much should I look for sponsors.

> > 3. Are there camps nearby so the accomodation can be solved with a tent?
>
> The nearest camp is 6km from here, I do not know the prices, but if you
> wish, I can call there to get informed.
Thank you. If it's not a big problem for you, please call them. 6 km is not
that much (1 hour to walk), but 6 Euro/night is not much either.

Altough there was some information made public about this in the past (eg. on
the dot), I don't expect that everybody knows/read it, so I would like to
explain a little more in detail my situation. I
used to work in Finland for a salary that you get in the EU. So it was a good
financial period of my life. But even during that time I tried to spend as
little as possible, because I went to work there in order to be able to start
a decent life at home. Since 2002 I'm not there anymore, and instead I work
on free software, and I'm sponsored by Eric Laffoon and his company to write
Quanta Plus. This is my only income + we have my wife's salary. I think it's
perfectly understandable that I don't want to touch my savings, unless I make
a serious investement (what we did these days: we have bought a 100 year old
house made of wood). I also bought a used car, which altough isn't the
cheapest one, let's say it was a "dream come true" for me. So right now I am
in the situation as before I went to Finland, with an acceptable salary
that's enough for daily life (rent, food, internet connection, small
travellings in the country), but without extra expenses. Everything above 50
Euro is an extra expense.
 This is the reality here and I can say that I should be happy, and I'm happy
with my life. But this doesn't mean that I don't want to go in other places,
and I don't want to atted such a big and important conference like the one at
Nove Hrady at the lowest possible fares. And I also know that if the next one
won't be in Hungary or Romania, but somewhere in the EU or another continent
it's 100% sure that I can't go there. So I must find a solution to go here.
 Anyway, this is not a "call for sponsors", it's just a call for information
of other possibilities than the one presented until now.

Thanks for your mail,
Andras

- --