[Nepomuk] Future Plans for the Nepomuk Query Parser

Mario Fux KDE ML kde-ml at unormal.org
Mon Jul 22 10:00:23 UTC 2013

Am Sonntag 21 Juli 2013, 13.59:57 schrieb Denis Steckelmacher:
> Hi,

Morning Denis

First thanks for your reports and great blog posts! I read everyone of them.

And second it's great to see the progress you're making.

> Here is a status report of my work on the Nepomuk query parser.
>
> Before my holidays (start started on July 3), I implemented a
> syntax-highlighted query builder using a single-line QTextEdit and the
> syntax-highlighting facilities of Qt.
>
> When I came back on July 13, I replaced this query builder with a new
> one, using colored background rectangles to group terms together. You
> can see how this looks like at [1]. The result is quite nice and I have
> fixed many bugs in the implementation since then.
>
> After that, I added auto-completion facilities to the widget. This was
> quicker than I expected, and in 3 days, I had the first working
> implementation. You can see it at [2].
>
> This week-end, I fixed several bugs in the parser and the query builder
> itself. The auto-completion of tags and contacts is also more
> intelligent, as typing the beginning of a term pre-selects it in the list.
>
> You can find my work in the gsoc2013 branches of the nepomuk-core and
> nepomuk-widget repositories available at [3]. I still have no reply to
> my KDE Developer Account application (done on the KDE Identity website),
> who do I need to contact to see if everything is good ?

Probably you could go to #kde-sysadmin on IRC and ask there. Would be great to
have your code in KDE repositories asap.

> For the next week, I plan to fix bugs and document things. I've also
> added a small test case for the parser, that can be extended. Another
> feature I plan to implement is "type-dependent properties". For
> instance, if I type "mails titled "Foo"" and "documents titled "Foo"",
> the "title" property is not the same for the two queries. The first one
> is nmo:messageSubject, the second one is nie:title. Also, don't hesitate
> to point me to ways to improve my code and to make it more in-line with
> all the KDE best-practices.
>
> The problem is that I don't think that all this will take the next 8
> weeks or so before the end of the GSoC.
>
> So, do you have ideas of project I can work on ? My first idea was of
> course to polish the query builder widget and to integrate it into
> Dolphin or other applications, and to bridge the query parser into
> KRunner and Plasma Active. After that, there will be plenty of good ways
> to query the Nepomuk database, and the next step would be to make more
> applications Nepomuk-ready (indexing documents and history in Nepomuk,
> etc)*.

What's the status of other languages than english? Does your parser already
work with French, German, etc.?`If not what's missing or needed?

What about a search application for Nepomuk. Not inside Dolphin or krunner but
a separate application with structured result display. But I think this is too
much work for 8 weeks and probably not the right thing...

> I want to do my best to have Nepomuk used and loved by the users, so I'm
> open to any suggestion that will make it more useable and interesting.
>
> Denis Steckelmacher.

Best regards
Mario