[Nepomuk] Future Plans for the Nepomuk Query Parser

Denis Steckelmacher steckdenis at yahoo.fr
Sun Jul 21 11:59:57 UTC 2013

Hi,

Here is a status report of my work on the Nepomuk query parser.

Before my holidays (start started on July 3), I implemented a
syntax-highlighted query builder using a single-line QTextEdit and the
syntax-highlighting facilities of Qt.

When I came back on July 13, I replaced this query builder with a new
one, using colored background rectangles to group terms together. You
can see how this looks like at [1]. The result is quite nice and I have
fixed many bugs in the implementation since then.

After that, I added auto-completion facilities to the widget. This was
quicker than I expected, and in 3 days, I had the first working
implementation. You can see it at [2].

This week-end, I fixed several bugs in the parser and the query builder
itself. The auto-completion of tags and contacts is also more
intelligent, as typing the beginning of a term pre-selects it in the list.

You can find my work in the gsoc2013 branches of the nepomuk-core and
nepomuk-widget repositories available at [3]. I still have no reply to
my KDE Developer Account application (done on the KDE Identity website),
who do I need to contact to see if everything is good ?

For the next week, I plan to fix bugs and document things. I've also
added a small test case for the parser, that can be extended. Another
feature I plan to implement is "type-dependent properties". For
instance, if I type "mails titled "Foo"" and "documents titled "Foo"",
the "title" property is not the same for the two queries. The first one
is nmo:messageSubject, the second one is nie:title. Also, don't hesitate
to point me to ways to improve my code and to make it more in-line with
all the KDE best-practices.

The problem is that I don't think that all this will take the next 8
weeks or so before the end of the GSoC.

So, do you have ideas of project I can work on ? My first idea was of
course to polish the query builder widget and to integrate it into
Dolphin or other applications, and to bridge the query parser into
KRunner and Plasma Active. After that, there will be plenty of good ways
to query the Nepomuk database, and the next step would be to make more
applications Nepomuk-ready (indexing documents and history in Nepomuk,
etc)*.

I want to do my best to have Nepomuk used and loved by the users, so I'm
open to any suggestion that will make it more useable and interesting.

Denis Steckelmacher.

*For instance, it could be interesting to see if it is possible to
implement a FireFox addon that extracts e-mails and contacts from the
webmails used by the user (with his or her permission).

[1]: http://steckdenis.be/post-2013-07-16-a-nicer-query-builder-widget.html
[2]:
http://steckdenis.be/post-2013-07-19-the-journey-to-auto-completion.html
[3]: http://public.steckdenis.be/git/