[Nepomuk] Nepomuk HTTP server

Martin Klapetek martin.klapetek at gmail.com
Sun Sep 9 20:58:23 UTC 2012

Hey,

On Sat, Sep 8, 2012 at 12:28 PM, Bogdan Bivolaru
<bogdan.bivolaru at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hello,
> I'm looking for a way to integrate my browsers (Firefox, Chormium and
> sometimes Rekonq) and my torrent client (Ktorrent) with Nepomuk.
> I want to link a file downloaded to the site I got it from and if it is a
> movie or a song I would like to extract author information from the
> website. It is likely that the site contains in the download page some
> information about the performers in the downloaded movie/song and I would
> like to save that information to the file.
>
> I have thought of two solutions to this problem:
>  1) in Firefox, make a native plugin using NPAPI (
> https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Gecko_Plugin_API_Reference); I
> suppose other browsers also have such a native code API.
> This is hard to do because someone has to write and maintain the plugin
> code for every browser in use.

I was looking at this few months ago with Vishesh (unfortunately we missed
the one by Sebastian), writing a NPAPI plugin is imho too much effort, so I
went with standard extension[1]. Also Chrome has this new PAPI and they are
going to(?) ditch the NPAPI, in turn Firefox is not going to support PAPI.
Anyways, Chrome/Chromium missed the proper downloads API for extensions, so
it was not possible to implement it in the same way as the firefox one.

>  2) An easier task would be to make a http server that listens on
> localhost and receives and answers JSON documents.
> I would then be able to write extensions in HTML which query and add new
> properties to resources. Most/all of the HTML/JS code for the extensions
> would run without changes on all browsers.

Basically what we did was the extension calling a simple binary file that
writes into Nepomuk, which is imho way easier than implementing/keeping
running a http server. See [1].

> UPDATE:
>  3) From what I remember reading in an article about a year ago, Zeitgeist
> is to be integrated with Nepomuk and zeitgeist-datasources are to provide
> such functionality. What is the status of the integration of Zeitgeist in
> KDE?
> Zeitgeist data providers (
> http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~zeitgeist-dataproviders/zeitgeist-datasources/git/files) support
> a lot of applications!
> /UPDATE

The main problem here is the Chrome/Chromium API, which didn't provide any
info on downloaded files, so there you'd have to go with the PAPI plugin I
guess. There was also a way to write Qt NPAPI plugins, but I haven't looked
much into that.

This second solution seems pretty easy, but I have some questions:
>  4) has anyone else started such a project?
> I have googled "Nepomuk JSON" on the net and I came out with a GWT
> application (https://bitbucket.org/pombredanne/webannotator/), an Eclipse
> application (
> http://dev.nepomuk.semanticdesktop.org/wiki/EclipseDevelopment) and a
> server called SWIM. I have also found a dead link to the home page of a
> Mandriva software. So in my opinion, the existing http server software is
> unmantained, undocumented and/or does not do what I need.
>
>  5) putting on a network a server which knows about most of the files in
> my user's home directory might pose a security risk, doesn't it?

Sort of, but if it would be a write-only server, then probably a low-level
one (I'm no security expert).

>  6) Do you have more up to date documentation? Do you have any advice?
>
>  7) Querying the Nepomuk database also queries the Zeitgeist DB?

AFAIK Zeitgeist pushes all data to Nepomuk and Nepomuk does not query
Zeitgeist back, but I'm not sure about the current state, so might be wrong.

[1] -
http://martys.typepad.com/blog/2012/02/so-you-want-to-keep-the-url-of-downloaded-file-eh.html

--
Martin Klapetek | KDE Developer