[Nepomuk] Nepomuk HTTP server

Vishesh Handa me at vhanda.in
Mon Sep 10 10:29:48 UTC 2012

Hey Bogan

On Sat, Sep 8, 2012 at 3:58 PM, Bogdan Bivolaru
<bogdan.bivolaru at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hello,
> I'm looking for a way to integrate my browsers (Firefox, Chormium and
> sometimes Rekonq) and my torrent client (Ktorrent) with Nepomuk.
> I want to link a file downloaded to the site I got it from and if it is a
> movie or a song I would like to extract author information from the
> website. It is likely that the site contains in the download page some
> information about the performers in the downloaded movie/song and I would
> like to save that information to the file.
>
> I have thought of two solutions to this problem:
>  1) in Firefox, make a native plugin using NPAPI (
> https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Gecko_Plugin_API_Reference); I
> suppose other browsers also have such a native code API.
> This is hard to do because someone has to write and maintain the plugin
> code for every browser in use.

 2) An easier task would be to make a http server that listens on localhost
> and receives and answers JSON documents.
> I would then be able to write extensions in HTML which query and add new
> properties to resources. Most/all of the HTML/JS code for the extensions
> would run without changes on all browsers.

But then you wouldn't be able to ship the plugin very easily. Maybe through
a distro, but not through the browser's addon page.

> UPDATE:
>  3) From what I remember reading in an article about a year ago, Zeitgeist
> is to be integrated with Nepomuk and zeitgeist-datasources are to provide
> such functionality. What is the status of the integration of Zeitgeist in
> KDE?
> Zeitgeist data providers (
> http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~zeitgeist-dataproviders/zeitgeist-datasources/git/files) support
> a lot of applications!
> /UPDATE

It seems as though Zeitgeist does provide a lot lot information.
Unfortunately, AFAIK it does not push any of that data into Nepomuk. There
have been a number of plans to push the data, but nothing concrete.

> This second solution seems pretty easy, but I have some questions:
>  4) has anyone else started such a project?
> I have googled "Nepomuk JSON" on the net and I came out with a GWT
> application (https://bitbucket.org/pombredanne/webannotator/), an Eclipse
> application (
> http://dev.nepomuk.semanticdesktop.org/wiki/EclipseDevelopment) and a
> server called SWIM. I have also found a dead link to the home page of a
> Mandriva software. So in my opinion, the existing http server software is
> unmantained, undocumented and/or does not do what I need.

Most of the stuff on the semanticdesktop.org is very outdated from a KDE
point of view.

 5) putting on a network a server which knows about most of the files in my
> user's home directory might pose a security risk, doesn't it?

Depends on which port you're running it on, and the kind of ports you have
open for general consumption. I see nothing wrong with running and http
server on some random port, and not allowing foreign connections on that
port.

But why don't you just use a local socket connection, instead?

>  6) Do you have more up to date documentation? Do you have any advice?

Well, we have *very* good technical documentation for Nepomuk [1].

I think it would be best if you split your idea into multiple parts -
fetching the download link, and extracting further metadata. The latter has
already been done extensively. Fetching the download link in KDE
applications should be fairly straight forward, specially since you can
directly access the Nepomuk APIs.

The only difficult part might be understanding the ontologies.

>  7) Querying the Nepomuk database also queries the Zeitgeist DB?

Nope. Zeitgeist and Nepomuk and completely separate.

[1] http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Nepomuk

--
Vishesh Handa