[Nepomuk] Indexing encrypted filesystems

Vishesh Handa me at vhanda.in
Wed Mar 21 10:56:42 UTC 2012

On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 4:20 PM, Ivan Čukić <ivan.cukic at kde.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm planning to start the work on indexing the encrypted filesystems.

This is going to be a little hard.

> There are some special needs in this case:
> - the filesystem is similar to removable media in the sense that the
> fs can be mounted/unmounted.

Does Solid know about it? Cause we use Solid in order to detect removable
file systems.

> - the difference to removable media is that it is always mounted at
> the same location (doesn't need to be, but it is the same for any fs)
> - it needs to store less meta-data than the normal indexing process
> (contents for example)

Super hard. Would require changing a lot of stuff. Plus, you'll need to
define what exactly you mean by 'less'.

I suppose we could filter some of the stuff based on the url. You'll have
to add the relevant code in
kde-runtime/nepomuk/services/fileindexer/indexer/*

> - maybe later: store the meta-data in some encrypted form.

How can we do that? Encrypt the entire virtuoso repository?

> First, any thoughts on this?
>
> Second, can you give me some pointers as to where is the
> removable-media detection code located so that I don't need to dig for
> it?

Well, it's mostly located in
kde-runtime/nepomuk/services/storage/removeablemedia*

> --
> Cheerio,
> Ivan
>
> --
> While you were hanging yourself on someone else's words
> Dying to believe in what you heard
> I was staring straight into the shining sun

Vishesh Handa