[Nepomuk] pimo:Event and ncal:Event

Jörg Ehrichs Joerg.Ehrichs at gmx.de
Sat Jan 7 19:53:47 UTC 2012

Hi everyone,

I have a small question regarding the nepomuk structure.

I have the following small use case:

When I import certain publications I might want to add event data to it.
This means the conference where some articles are from, or a meeting
where a presentation was held.

I like to connect this to to the publication data, so I can get deeper
information about the Event from the publication point of view
and also get a list of all articles/presentations or other
publications from the event point of view.
So far so good, everything is working.

Now the question.
Currently I create a pimo:Event for this case and add all information
to it. Which is mostly nothing else than a nie:title and a year.
Akonadi saves its event data as ncal:Event though.

If I know like to push my pimo:event data to akonadi I have two
options I'm a bit unsure about.

Option 1)
Keep the pimo:Event (as Thing representation), remove information like
date, place, description, attendee and so on
and link the pimo:event via pimo:groundingOccurence to the aknoadi
created ncal:Event. So all event information can be retrieved from
the ncal:Event from now on.

My "user generated" information (links to all publication) will stay
at the pimo:Event resource where I would also add
the rating and tags to it if necessary.

Option 2)
Remove the pimo:event ( or create it as ncal:event in the first place)
and put anything to the ncal:event including
my list of publications, tags and ratings.

Currently I'd say I have to use option 1, as this will fit into the
"one Thing to rule them all" approach from the pimo.pdf document.
On the other hand I wonder why akonadi never creates pimo:Event,
pimo:Person classes and thus I'm not sure if this is still the way to
go.

And also why are there properties like pimo:duration, pimo:attendee
etc? As soon as I have the event as ncal:Event there are other
properties for it.
Furthermore wouldn't I run into trouble if the pimo:Event has some
attendees and the ncal:Event has some other attendees?

Also the same question arise for tmo:Task and pimo:Task