[Nepomuk] Nepomuk feeder queuing problem

Sebastian Trüg trueg at kde.org
Mon Jan 16 17:01:20 UTC 2012

Hi Christian,

there seems to be a problem with the Nepomuk feeder in KDEpim. The
reports about virtuoso going crazy pile up and now I ran into the same
problem.
Thus, I had a look at the feeder and found a potential problem:

You use a single shot timer to continue the indexing. This timer tells
the queue to continue the processing of the items. This is all fine
internally. But both setOnline() and addItem() start the timer without
checking if any job has already been started. Thus, another job will be
started. This can potentially lead to tons of nepomuk jobs running which
could in fact make virtuoso go crazy as there is no real protection
against such an "attack" in Nepomuk.

Please have a look and tell me if I read the code correctly.

This is something we should sort out before the final tag.