[Nepomuk] Nepomuk and backup files

Ignacio Serantes kde at aynoa.net
Fri Feb 24 15:57:44 UTC 2012

Hi,

On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 3:37 PM, Verho Tuukka <tuukka.verho at aalto.fi> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I got this idea when cursing all those backup files (with a '~' in the
> name) that Kate and other programs clutter my folders with: what if there
> were a Nepomuk service that would detect all newly created backup files and
> move them out of sight to some central backup folder? The backups could be
> then found by clicking a "show older versions" link the Dolphin metadata
> bar.
>
> The advantages of this approach would be that it would be straightforward
> to implement and would require no support from applications' side (so
> non-kde programs would be handled too). Dolphin developers don't seem to be
> eager to allow hiding these backup files so this could be an answer to many
> users' wish -- see for example this 12-year-old bug:
>
> http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/kdelibs-bugs/2008-June/001863.html
> (or just google "dolphin hide backup files")

Interesting but I don't think that this particular case must be solved with
Nepomuk, I think that this must be solved at file managers level.

In Konqueror there is a Filter system really useful for this particular
case that could be useful in Dolphin too. In Dolphin there is a Filter bar
and adding support to negation, something like  -*.~, you could hide backup
files easily. Add this features seems easy. On the other side, if you need
track your changes you need a control version system and not store all your
backups in a central repository.

> However, at the moment backup files are not listed by nepomuk, making it
> impossible to detect them. Could this be changed? I don't mean their
> contents should be indexed, just create bare resources that tell their type
> (backup) and to what file they are related.

You can configure what files are indexed by Nepomuk in Control Panel and,
by default, backup files are excluded.

> Cheers,
> Tuukka

Best wishes,