[Nepomuk] Nepomuk and backup files

Verho Tuukka tuukka.verho at aalto.fi
Fri Feb 24 14:37:25 UTC 2012

Hi all,

I got this idea when cursing all those backup files (with a '~' in the name) that Kate and other programs clutter my folders with: what if there were a Nepomuk service that would detect all newly created backup files and move them out of sight to some central backup folder? The backups could be then found by clicking a "show older versions" link the Dolphin metadata bar.

The advantages of this approach would be that it would be straightforward to implement and would require no support from applications' side (so non-kde programs would be handled too). Dolphin developers don't seem to be eager to allow hiding these backup files so this could be an answer to many users' wish -- see for example this 12-year-old bug:

http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/kdelibs-bugs/2008-June/001863.html
(or just google "dolphin hide backup files")

However, at the moment backup files are not listed by nepomuk, making it impossible to detect them. Could this be changed? I don't mean their contents should be indexed, just create bare resources that tell their type (backup) and to what file they are related.

Cheers,
Tuukka