[Nepomuk] Nepomuk and backup files

Tuukka Verho tuukka.verho at aalto.fi
Fri Feb 24 20:57:21 UTC 2012

Hi Ignacio,

Thanks for you insights...

Ignacio Serantes kirjoitti 24.2.2012 kello 17.57:

> Interesting but I don't think that this particular case must be
> solved with Nepomuk, I think that this must be solved at file
> managers level.
>
> In Konqueror there is a Filter system really useful for this
> particular case that could be useful in Dolphin too. In Dolphin
> there is a Filter bar and adding support to negation, something
> like  -*.~, you could hide backup files easily. Add this features
> seems easy. On the other side, if you need track your changes you
> need a control version system and not store all your backups in a
> central repository.

I think the backup files are like the trash bin but for changed files
instead of deleted files. They are needed because the trash bin can
save your day when you make an accidental delete but not when you
accidentally make a destructive edit. When you accidentally delete
something you may be extremely happy that the trash bin exists, but
however, the rest of time you don't want to see the trashed files.
That's why they are not cluttered around you folders but in one
central place, out of sight. The backup files should be out of sight
in the same way, their place is not in your folders. What I suggested
would

* Put them away because normally you never need them
* But if you need them after all, you'll know where to look for them

> However, at the moment backup files are not listed by nepomuk,
> making it impossible to detect them. Could this be changed? I don't
> mean their contents should be indexed, just create bare resources
> that tell their type (backup) and to what file they are related.
>
> You can configure what files are indexed by Nepomuk in Control Panel
> and, by default, backup files are excluded.

Thanks, I didn't know it so easily configurable. Nice...

Best,
Tuukka