[Nepomuk] Re: [kde-runtime] nepomuk/services/strigi: Removed some notifications: don't annoy users with nepomuk suspended/resumed messages every time they are running on battery.

Davide Bettio bettio at kde.org
Fri May 6 15:36:58 CEST 2011

----- Messaggio originale -----
> I see your point and agree that the perfect solution would be to
> completely hide from the user. That is what we did in the beginning and
> then people complained (and filed bug reports) that they did not know
> what was going on. So until we can really hide in terms of resource
> usage or a better solution than the notifications come along this has to
> stay an imperfect thing. Either way there is someone to complain.
I think that the best solution would be to display a services status tab in ksysguard. In the meatime i think that the notification should be hidden, if an user is interested about indexing status should open the nepomuk status app that is displayed in the systray. A large number of users agree with a power conservative strategy by default while running on battery.

> Maybe if we integrated into the power profile configuration so users can
> configure if indexing should be stopped during battery usage or not.
> Then the whole thing would be more transparent and the notifications
> could become unnecessary.
I agree. We need profiles for power saving strategy: on tablets the default device usage is without power adapter and indexing should continue. I think you should get in contact with Dario Freddi (drf).

Bye,
Davide Bettio.