[Nepomuk] search client possibilities displaying results

Thiago Jung Bauermann thiago.bauermann at gmail.com
Fri Sep 3 20:23:15 CEST 2010

Hi,

Just my two cents as a KDE user interested in desktop search and also
semantic desktop in general...

On Fri, 2010-09-03 at 10:01 -0700, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> it would also make a lot of sense imho to improve the presentation in krunner
> of results from the Nepomuk runner so that it should more than just the file
> name. thumbnails would also be a nice krunner addition for items that
> represent files.

If krunner is to be considered an adequate UI for searching, its
usability needs to be improved when you have more than a handful of
results (i.e, more than 5 or so). The showstoppers in my opinion are the
arrows for scrolling the list. For some reason they overlap the items at
the top and bottom of the window, so what happens is that when you are
clicking down the list and you get to the bottom, the arrow suddenly
disappears and you inadvertently click on the last item, launching it
before you can even realized what happened.

Also, it would really make it more comfortable if there was a scrollbar.
I just found your blog post "krunner atop redux" where you say krunner
is not meant to wade through hundreds of results. The problem is that as
it is now it is difficult to navigate even through 10 results, which is
a very reasonable number of results to expect from a desktop search.

One last suggestion is to make the height of the krunner proportional to
the number of results returned (with some limiting to ensure it doesn't
occupy the whole screen).

I hope this is not the wrong avenue for bringing this up, it seems
relevant to this discussion.
--
[]'s
Thiago Jung Bauermann