[Nepomuk] search client possibilities displaying results

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Fri Sep 3 21:47:16 CEST 2010

On Friday, September 3, 2010, Thiago Jung Bauermann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just my two cents as a KDE user interested in desktop search and also
> semantic desktop in general...
>
> On Fri, 2010-09-03 at 10:01 -0700, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > it would also make a lot of sense imho to improve the presentation in
> > krunner of results from the Nepomuk runner so that it should more than
> > just the file name. thumbnails would also be a nice krunner addition for
> > items that represent files.
>
> If krunner is to be considered an adequate UI for searching, its

it should be an adequate UI for quickly getting to items. i wouldn't suggest
it as a desktop search tool (i'd rather see crystal, which i also mentioned in
my email, be that). it may be possible to make it cover all needs adequately,
but it may not be either and i'd rather focus on krunner as a "quick launcher"
than a "desktop search tool".

> results (i.e, more than 5 or so). The showstoppers in my opinion are the
> arrows for scrolling the list.

yes, i'm not particularly happy with them either. i'd prefer to see a paging
system at the bottom of the window, web-like. i just didn't have time during
4.5 to make it happen myself, and nobody else stepped up with patches.

> Also, it would really make it more comfortable if there was a scrollbar.

not likely to happen.

> One last suggestion is to make the height of the krunner proportional to
> the number of results returned (with some limiting to ensure it doesn't
> occupy the whole screen).

it already does this in 4.5 and above, though you may want to resize it for
the maximum size.

> I hope this is not the wrong avenue for bringing this up, it seems

it isn't really the best place for it, no. plasma-devel@ if you are wanting to
get involved in making it better (e.g. through patches), or bugs.kde.org for
specific issues, or Brainstorm on forum.kde.org for more vague items.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se