[Nepomuk] search client possibilities displaying results

Sven Burmeister sven.burmeister at gmx.net
Fri Sep 3 20:12:32 CEST 2010

Am Freitag, 3. September 2010, 19:01:52 schrieb Aaron J. Seigo:
> On Friday, September 3, 2010, Sven Burmeister wrote:
> > To sum-up this means that until there is no proper search client, there
> > is no desktop search and thus its services will remain disabled by
> > default for most users.
>
> observing users with "search clients" that are stand-alone apps, it is my
> experience that they are not used except by very few people. they are not
> compelling enough to make people use them often enough, mostly becuase you
> have to launch some additional purpose-specific application which runs
> counter to the idea of search being a quicker way to find things.
>
> there is the crystal search plasmoid in playground/base/plasma/applets/
> which aims to resolve this in much the same way Apple did: make it easily
> available in the one bit of UI that nearly everyone has: a desktop panel.
> (of course, in the case of plasma you can put it nearly anywhere you
> want.. )

You are right, a search client placed in the panel is much more accessible
than a stand-alone app. Yet the issue of presenting the results remains no
matter whether they are put in a stand-alone app or the window is launched
from the panel.

> i'd really like to see crystal cleaned up and moved into one of the main
> modules (kdebase, even; i see search as that critical; it could even be
> part of a default layout?). it would allow desktop search to be used as a
> quick locator.

I tried crystal with KDE 4.4.5 and while for most OO files and plain text
(including maildir files) it did not show any context of the string found, it
did show it for one or two. It even highlighted the string one searched for!
No idea why it does not work for most though.

It does show a lot of useless results as well, such as nepomuk:/res/...

And I would make it a line edit rather than a clickable icon to increase
accessibility.

Sven