[Nepomuk] search client possibilities displaying results

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Fri Sep 3 19:01:52 CEST 2010

On Friday, September 3, 2010, Sven Burmeister wrote:
> To sum-up this means that until there is no proper search client, there is
> no desktop search and thus its services will remain disabled by default
> for most users.

observing users with "search clients" that are stand-alone apps, it is my
experience that they are not used except by very few people. they are not
compelling enough to make people use them often enough, mostly becuase you
have to launch some additional purpose-specific application which runs counter
to the idea of search being a quicker way to find things.

there is the crystal search plasmoid in playground/base/plasma/applets/ which
aims to resolve this in much the same way Apple did: make it easily available
in the one bit of UI that nearly everyone has: a desktop panel. (of course, in
the case of plasma you can put it nearly anywhere you want.. )

i'd really like to see crystal cleaned up and moved into one of the main
modules (kdebase, even; i see search as that critical; it could even be part
of a default layout?). it would allow desktop search to be used as a quick
locator.

it would also make a lot of sense imho to improve the presentation in krunner
of results from the Nepomuk runner so that it should more than just the file
name. thumbnails would also be a nice krunner addition for items that
represent files.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se