[Nepomuk] Semantic File Server

Sebastian Trüg trueg at kde.org
Mon Jun 28 21:08:40 CEST 2010

I would need some more details on what you want to do: Do you want to
store the metadata on the server or on the clients?
The latter is rather simple since that would mean to either mount the
file server in a local folder or to implement some simple service that
gets its data from the server. The latter should be rather easy.
If you on the other hand want to store the data on the server then you
could do two things with a little more work:
1. run nepomuk on the server and on the clients and revive the remote
query thingi I implemented ages ago. It does not have any security but
as long as you are in a secure intranet it should not be a problem.
2. run nepomuk on server and clients and let the server share its files.
This is not implemented yet but we are about to start working on it and
help is very very welcome. This is especially interesting since the same
technology will work for sharing in the intranet and the internet.
At the Akademy next week we will have a meeting dedicated to sharing of
data only. Hopefully that will end in some usable code.

Hope this helps a bit and gets you even more interested in Nepomuk.